Selection, Measuring, and Order of Your Pool Fence
As your local distributor we have the tools, expertise, and experience to install your fence so that it is safe and attractive on your patio. Due to the high cost of installation including core drill rental and diamond core bit cost, self installation is generally impractical where installation services are available.
Below are details that will help you decide which Protect-A-Child Pool Fence or pool cover would be the best choice for your use. Please take the time to review all the pool fence options and ordering instructions as this will help ensure that your order is both accurate and complete.
Protect-A-Child Pool Fencing is available in two styles. The difference between these two fences is in the posts that support the mesh. The support posts are the most important part of your pool fence because they provide all the support to the fence and are all that prevent the fence from being knocked down and rendered ineffective. The stronger the posts, the stronger - and safer - the pool fence. Beyond the support posts, all other components in our pool fences are identical. The advantages of each are as follows:
1. PREMIER LINE POOL FENCE (Unbreakable 100% Composite Fiberglass Post Pool Fence)
This fence incorporates our top quality "QUAD-BILT”, “solid core” composite fiberglass posts and moldings. In this fence both the fence support posts and molding strips that attach the mesh to the post are made of space age composite fiberglass.
The advantages of this type of support post include the following:
The posts - and thus the fence- is unbreakable and can never become bent. This means you never have to worry about a child or adult falling against the fence and bending or breaking it - thus leaving your pool unprotected. The fact that these posts cannot become bent also means your fence will always remain straight and attractive.
The color of the post is built-in with colored resins so it cannot flake or peel off.
The fence is 100% non-metallic so cannot corrode and will not conduct electricity thus meeting the National Electrical Code.
These posts, beginning in Spring 2011 are backed with an unlimited* lifetime warranty against bending and breakage.
* ”Unlimited” when used as a pool fence support post.
2. SILVER SERIES POOL FENCE (Aluminum Post Fencing)
Our aluminum post fences are stronger than mosts competing mesh pool fence posts. They are made with .063” “thickwall” aluminum tubes that are reinforced with a second .063” thickwall tube inside them to strengthen the post at the critical fulcrum point where the post exits the patio.
- This double wall aluminum support post makes our aluminum post fence among the strongest aluminum post fences on the market.
Durable electrostatically applied color finish.
Warranted for life against defects in materials and workmanship. (Does not include post breakage or bending)
We use a 1000 denier PVC coated polyester mesh with a heavy duty, 14 oz., marine grade vinyl border and the highest grade UV resistant marine grade thread to bind them together. This is the strongest, most durable, and weather proof mesh available. We have used this mesh, binding and thread combination exclusively for 26 years. It is the only pool fence mesh panel assembly we would rely upon for strength, safety, color fastness, and weather durability especially when it will be shipped overseas.
Assembly & Installation Components
SCREWS: The posts are attached to the mesh with round head, painted, stainless steel screws for a safe finish. They are spaced no greater than 4.5” (11.4 cm) apart for a solid attachment of mesh to post. Three screws at top and bottom assure a strong attachment of mesh to post.
SECTION LATCH: Choice of latches: Our patented Point Lock Secure Pool Fence latch crafted from solid stainless steel or our padlock lockable safety gate hook and eye.
SLEEVES: "Size adapting" plastic sleeves require a 1 ¼” (32mm) core drill bit.
PATIO CAPS: To cover the post holes when the fence is removed. Available in tan, white, grey, or brick red.
DIRT SLEEVES: To provide support for the fence when it must cross the dirt or grass.
Size & Color Options
|6' (1.83m)||3 posts attached at 36" intervals||Black
|9' (2.74m)||4 posts attached at 36" intervals|
|12' (3.66m)||5 posts attached at 36" intervals|
|15' (4.57m)||6 posts attached at 36" intervals|
|60" (1.52m)||5' (1.52m)||3 posts attached at 30" intervals||Black
|7.5 (2.29m)||4 posts attached at 30" intervals|
|10' (3.05m)||5 posts attached at 30" intervals|
|12.5' (3.81m)||6 posts attached at 30" intervals|
WHERE SHOULD THE FENCE GO?
To measure the amount of fencing you must first decide the best path for your fence to follow. Keep in mind the following:
- Block off all exits from the house to the pool. It is usually best to surround the swimming pool however sometimes you can tie in to existing fences.
- Minimize frequent adult traffic through the fence. Your goal is to have to open the fence only when using the pool. i.e., do not block off areas the dog must pass through daily or that would prevent access to garbage cans on the side of the house, etc. Constantly having to go in and out of the fence means gates could be left open.
- Consider that you and your child can use the outside patio area everyday as an extended play area– yet the swimming pool is used less often. For this reason it is usually preferable to maximize the usable patio area outside the fence by placing the fence closer to the pool. Any patio area left inside the fence by the pool is only usable generally during pool use.
- Remember that one of the best features of this fence is that it is easily removable. If you need more patio area while using the pool, all or part of the fence can be quickly removed exposing one side, two sides or the entire patio to the pool.
HOW SHOULD I MEASURE MY POOL?
Once you determine the best route for your fence you will need to decide:
- Where you wish to place any gate openings.
- Whether you wish to use a self closing gate or manual gate opening.
- The mix of section lengths you will need to enclose the pool taking into consideration where gates will fall.
If the fence will not encircle the pool. Start your measurement on one end, measure to where the gate will land and note that distance. Then measure the remaining distance.
Fencing is available in the length sections specified above. Order the correct lengths of sections to land your gates where necessary and then to finish off the remaining length of fencing using the maximum number of the longest sections possible . Remember that self closing gates will use up 3’ of length so can be subtracted from the total.
If the required length of fence is 100' (30m), we recommend you order as many 15’ (4.57m) sections as possible and make up the difference with the necessary shorter length. Final customization is easily accomplished on the patio deck.
WHAT IF MY FENCE IS CROSSING THE YARD?
(GRASS OR DIRT)
We manufacture special aluminum tubes designed to support the fence in the grass or dirt. These “dirt spikes” can be driven into the ground to a depth necessary to provide good support to the fence. They are available in 4’ lengths and can be cut to the length necessary depending upon how hard the ground is. Generally 2’ is sufficient to support the fence post.
WHAT PARTS COME WITH THE FENCE?
All fencing comes fully assembled (posts pre-attached to the mesh), and is shipped with 1 polyvinyl sleeve per pole, 1 latch per section, and 2 lock in deck screws per section to enable you to utilize this feature. This is sufficient to install the fence in a normal configuration that would encircle the pool.
If you feel you will need additional parts (such as additional sleeves for extra layback holes at the manual gate, additional latches, or additional lock in deck screws), please specify this at the time of order.
With each export order we will also supply a US standard “feet and inches” tape measure to help make installations of the 36” spacing sections easier to accomplish.
Note: We do not manufacture fencing on 1 meter centers as this extra spacing spreads the posts too far and the fence loses required rigidity.
WHAT WE WILL NEED TO KNOW WHEN YOU ORDER:
1. Your name, shipping address, and email.
2. Specify the height of fence. 3 1/2' (1.07m), 4' (1.22m), 5' (1.52m)
3. Fence post type: Unbreakable Premier Line fiberglass or SILVER SERIES aluminum.
4. Color of post, border, mesh.(ie, “tan post, black mesh, tan border” or “all black”)
5. The number and length of each section necessary (ie. 5 – 4.57m sections)
6. How many self-closing gates (if any).
7. Color and number of patio caps desired. (Tan, white, brick red, grey)
8. Any additional parts?. (ie extra posts, sleeves, latches, dirt spikes, etc.)
9. If you need a diamond core bit.
RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT
Installation of Protect-A-Child Pool Fencing in a concrete patio is best performed using a stand mounted core drill. This machine uses a garden hose hooked to it to supply a trickle of water running through the hollow diamond tipped bit. Drill bits are hollow diamond core bits. Size is 1 ¼” or 32 mm.
SHOULD I ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS MYSELF?
Like any unique product, installation of a removable mesh pool fence has procedures that must be followed to attain the safest and most attractive installation. At a minimum you will need to rent a stand mounted core drill and obtain the necessary 1 ¼” (32 mm) diamond drill bit. (Drill bits are available from Protect-A-Child). When possible you should take advantage of the installation services of your local authorized distributor. Click on the Find Your Dealer link above to locate your local distributor. In export situations when that is not possible we will provide necessary installation instructions so that you will be successful installing the fence. These instructions will be included with the fence order.
SHIPPING AND PAYMENT
- We ship within 3 days via UPS, FED EX airfreight, or your specified carrier once payment is received. Please let us know your shipping preference when ordering.
- Box size is approximately 52”x15”x15” (132cmx38cmx38cm). This size box will contain (4)-4.57m (15’) sections or a maximum of 60’ (18.3 m) of fence per box.
- Weight of a full box is approximately 80 lbs or 36 kilos per box containing 60’ (18.3m) of 4’ (1.22m) fence.
- Export fencing orders must be prepaid via wire transfer. Contact us for instructions.
US: 800. 992. 2206
Canada: 877. 992. 2206
International: 772. 287. 6481
Fax: 772. 288-5029